Have You Been Injured in a Car Accident?
There were 307,550 total crashes throughout New York in 2011, and 177,445 people were injured as a result of these accidents. Being involved in a car accident can be a painful experience both physically and emotionally. If you have sustained serious injuries because of a car accident, you may be overwhelmed with the thought of impending medical expenses, lost wages, car repairs and continuing therapy or medical treatments. This is a normal feeling, and many accident victims struggle to stay afloat financially after an accident.
This is one of the reasons why you must contact a legal professional after you have suffered an accident that was not your fault. With the help of a car accident attorney at The Law Offices of Steven I Fried, P.C., you will receive the straightforward counsel and legal protection you need during this challenging time. For 19 years, our firm has been representing clients facing all types of personal injury and accident cases.
We firmly believe that anyone who operates a motor vehicle is expected to exercise reasonable care and caution. A failure to do so is negligence. If a driver’s negligence, inattentiveness, inexperience, criminal actions or failure to act in turn causes an accident resulting in serious injury or death, the driver needs to be held accountable for their actions.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
In our experience, here are some of the most common causes of car accidents:
- Excessive Speed: Speeding drivers continues to be one of the top causes of car accidents. When a driver exceeds the speed limit, they are putting themselves and others at risk.
- Poor weather conditions: Weather is not something we can control, however there are precautions drivers can take in order to limit risk when driving in poor weather conditions. Incompetent or inexperienced drivers are often behind serious accidents during bad weather.
- Bad road conditions: When standard maintenance and repairs are neglected, roads can and do deteriorate to the point where they become a hazard to all who travel them.
- Drunk driving: Drunk driving is illegal. Any driver who gets behind the wheel of a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is putting their life and the lives of others at risk. Drunk driving accidents are often responsible for causing serious and life-threatening injuries.
- Fatigued drivers: An individual who gets behind the wheel with lack of sleep or while severely fatigued is knowingly putting themselves and others in danger. It is much safer and more responsible to pull over and get some rest.
- Distracted drivers: Algunas de las cosas comunes que distraen a los conductores son los mensajes de texto mientras se conduce, hablando por teléfono celular, comiendo, poniendo maquillaje, leyendo, cambiando estaciones de radio, buscando artículos y más. Si algo le quita su atención de la carretera es una distracción y puede causarle a entrar en un accidente.
- Multi-Vehicle Accidents
- Rear-End Accidents
- Texting and Driving Accidents
- UM & UIM Claims
The number of car accidents caused by distracted drivers has shot through the roof in recent years. From texting while driving to applying makeup or eating, there are countless activities that can distract a driver and lead to an accident. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has provided the following examination of driver distraction;
Driver distraction was reported to have been involved in 16 percent of all fatal crashes in 2008 according to data from the Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS). The age group with the greatest proportion of distracted drivers was the under-20 age group—16 percent of all under-20 drivers in fatal crashes were reported to have been distracted while driving.
Protecting Your Rights – The Law Firm of Steven I. Fried, P.C.
After a car accident, you will have to deal with your insurance company. After you file a car accident insurance claim through your auto insurance provider, an adjuster will likely be assigned to your case. This adjuster is responsible for determining your percentage of fault as well as determining the financial amount of damages you may be entitled to. These damages will go toward remediating repair costs, medical bills and property losses (if applicable). An adjuster will also be assigned to the other driver’s case. What can happen is that, in an attempt to settle for a low amount, you may be offered a quick settlement. Without the help of a skilled car accident attorney, you may not know what type of settlement offer you should accept. At The Law Firm of Steven I. Fried, P.C., we are prepared to handle these and other issues for clients.
When a car accident occurs, regardless of the cause, the burden of proof lies with the victim of the accident. That is why having a knowledgeable and experienced attorney who will be able to analyze the accident and incident reports, gather additional evidence, interview key witnesses, challenge any false or inaccurate reports, determine if negligence was a factor, and advise you on how best to proceed, is absolutely necessary. Here at The Law Offices of Steven I Fried, P.C., we have demonstrated a constant commitment to the victims of car accidents.
Our legal team has become a pillar in the ethnic community as a result of our success and dedication to providing clients with excellent, personalized service. We immediately respond to client calls and are here to answer your questions and quell your concerns. Although we cannot guarantee the outcome of your case, we will work hard to see that you receive the aggressive and effective representation you deserve. To learn more, please contact a car accident lawyer from our firm.